Hi-yo!

30 November 2011

Bechdel Test, pt. 2


I should let you know, I'm a bitter, bitter person. I hate many things. I hate Frank Miller. Yes, I know he did The Dark Knight Returns (which I will say is amazingly written) and I have heard good things about Sin City, but after you've seen The Spirit and read All-Star Batman and Robin (oh, you know, the one where he kidnaps 12-year-old Dick Grayson and calls him retarded because he doesn't know that he's 'the goddamn Batman) you'll realize Mr. Miller has gone off the deep end and definitely cannot write female characters (outside of Carrie Kelly, to his credit).

Here's his script to penciller Jim Lee for the above page of Vicki Vale in All-Star Batman and Robin:


"Okay Jim, I'm shameless. Let's go with an ASS shot. Panties detailed. Balloons from above. She's walking, restless as always. We can't take our eyes off her. Especially since she's got one fine ass."

I'm not against sexualizing women (after all, we do have sexuality) but when it's done in such a degrading way that this one aspect is the only thing that defines her characterization - a sex object - it really frustrates me. Especially since the marketing of female superheroes can sometimes be based heavily on her sex appeal as opposed to, oh...other things. I imagine if males were sexualized in the same way it would definitely expose the inherent ridiculousness of it all. Thus:


I'll apologize now for scarring you all forever. But hey, he's got one fine ass, so that makes it all okay, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment