Hi-yo!

30 November 2011

Bechdel Test, pt. 1

My new project is on the Bechdel Test (Google it please, dear friend). Basically it tests female presence in a work (movie, TV show, book, graphic novel, etc.) But I'm also exploring it in a broader spectrum. I'll explain later, but I wanted to post some visuals I'd done.

Since I tend to babble on and I'll be ranting on several topics I'll split in into parts.



These two 'strong women' were inspired (should I even use that word...) by Sucker Punch. Basically, Sucker Punch passes the Bechdel Test with flying colours, but I felt cheated when I watched it.

I find it masquerades itself as 'female empowerment' when it is anything but, and Zack Snyder seems to think 'feminism' = girls wielding guns being super-violent and fighting back in a world where they're oppressed by evil, evil men while wearing skimpy outfits and sultry expressions. If anything, it perpetuates the Hollywood notion that girl power can only be girl power under a masculine ideal.

This is perfectly satirized in this strip of Hark! A Vagrant!

To be perfectly fair, the movie is horrible on its own terms. I hated 300. If Sucker Punch consisted of a solely male cast, I still would have hated it. I hate Zack Snyder and his overly-CGIed, gratuitous slow-mo. I could go on and on, but I won't. Not now, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment