Hi-yo!

19 June 2011

A scene from 'The Norwood Builder', Sherlock Holmes


I did this months and months ago, and I was looking through my folders, and realized I'd never finish it, so I may as well put it up now. There's a lot of things I'm really unhappy with (character proportions, expressions, anatomy etc. etc.) (Holmes has bendy limbs for example) thus my hesitancy to continue it.

Oh well. It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Basically, I'm really obsessed with the BBC Sherlock Holmes radio plays (yup, I know, super-geek), and I thought it'd be fun to do a little visual accompaniment to a scene just for practice with angles, character expressions, gestures and whatnot. Pfft.

One of my favourite stories is the Norwood Builder. It's the absolute adorableness of the jittery, naive John Hector McFarlane (whose voice actor in the radio play just makes you want to hug him tight), the snarky dynamic between Holmes and Lestrade, Holmes' contagiously deliriously happy mood after he finds evidence to prove his theory, the brilliant denouement (with Holmes' usual dramatic flair), among other things.

(Also, I've just realized that Holmes offers a cigarette to a poor, asthmatic McFarlane. Holmes, you devil!)

No comments:

Post a Comment